Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sculpey House - Round 2

OK, so I really intend for it to be the ground level of a 3-storey townhouse, and more of a shop than a house. This week I completed the square, for better or for worse. I made two joints, baked the clay, and then joined the two halves together.

In order to get the halves to stand up, I rolled out two snakes and set them at 90-degree angles.


Then I stood a wall on each of the snakes, with their inner corners touching.

Next, I put a thicker roll over the corner and pushed it down inside until it sealed up nicely.



Then, I shaved each side of the corner even with its respective wall.


Simple enough! I baked each half and then repeated the process to complete the other two corners.


The process was not without its mishaps, though. The thin walls proved to be weak above the windows and I actually had pieces snap off. It was easy enough to repair -- just smooth it over with some more clay and re-bake. I decided to add some reinforcement along the tops of the windows as a preventative measure, though. It looks pretty rough, but we'll see how it paints up.



The finished level. On the cardstock below it you can see the beginning plans for the second and third floors. I will be reusing templates more as I make the other floors, so all-in-all I will only have to make two pages of templates (or so I hope...).


But wait, there's more! I also painted up my two remaining cogs. I haven't decided what colors I'll use on them (to liven them up and differentiate them), but the hard work is done.


And I made a sign to hang outside of my cafe/shop/hash bakery/whatever out of sculpey.


I also picked up a bit of 28mm terrain and some extra 15mm medieval figs from my friend Ron at The Game Connection. It's a graveyard set from Fighting Scenes Terrain. Now I'm going to need a church and walls...


It's a pretty nice set, fully painted with some gravestones and a tomb. The tomb wasn't as detailed as I would have liked, so I washed the stonework, drybrushed it a little more, and painted the door.


I really need to get cracking on my 15mm Romans... they've been sitting around forever, and I need to get them off the nails so that I can get my Cog Wars crews on there!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Very cool! I am very much enjoying your 'house building' process! Can't wait to see the finished product!