Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dirty Minis

As promised, more pics of my WWI minis... I've got pretty much every early war WWI pack that Renegade makes for the French and Germans, with the exception of one of the French Chasseur packs and the German cavalry. Most of the rulesets that I would use these with call for individually based minis, and I have opted for the 1" square thin bases from Litko. 1" seemed to give a reasonable amount of footing for the various poses, although sometimes I do wish I had gone with 1" round bases just for the look of it, but I'm not really that concerned about it. I have some Late War British and German stuff that I haven't started on yet, and I may use the round bases with those.

Click on the pics for a better view...






These were some of the first 28mm scale figures that I had painted, and so some "experimenting" with different techniques (block painting, dry brushing, etc) will be noticeable if you care to look closely.

The rule sets that I have are Contemptible Little Armies, Price of Glory, and Warhammer Great War. I am not sure about the other two (I read them a while ago and haven't really played them...), but Price of Glory treats the gun crew figures individually so I've based them separately from their weapons. If I ever find the need I may make a movement tray for the artillery piece.



For the HMG below I made what I guess I would call an "integral movement tray." I based the gun offset on a base large enough to also accommodate the loader. It seems to have worked out pretty well in the couple of games I've played.



The latest thing I've been working on is "dirtying up" the ones I've painted so far. I have a bunch that I've finished down to the Dullcote and I decided they looked to clean to be WWI soldiers, especially after reading about the grimy, dusty state of all the soldiers in Georges Blonde's The Marne. So I went ahead and drybrushed some very light brown over the lower parts of the minis...

That's a pic of the same model, side-by-side, one clean and one dirty. I'm pleased with the look. What's the consensus? Now I need to get in some games with them...

I have a couple of other WWI albums in my Picasa account: here and here.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Marty said...

Great job on these figures man! Looking forward to playing a WW1 game with you at some point.

I think the dirt dry-brushing came out real well (at least on the close up). If you hold the figures out at arm length, do they still keep the dirty look? The way the figure looks on the table-top presentation is what really seals things for me.